Choosing a good hair and makeup artist is one of the most important decisions a bride can make. A great dress is nothing without the perfect hair and makeup. Here are a few tips and questions you should ask when looking for the perfect beauty team.
1. Make sure you get along with whomever you choose: this is important because you don’t want any additional stress on the big day because of feeling uncomfortable around your team. They need to share the same vision as you on your hair and makeup.
2. Try out different stylists. You might think you like someone’s work in photos but you can get a total different result in person. Interview about 3 stylists first, see their work and then set trials with at least 2.
3. Don’t just go by what your friends tells you. Just because someone raves about the person they used for their wedding it does not mean they are the right fit for you. Ask questions such as, “What makeup do you use?”, “How many brides have you worked with?”, “Can I check some references?”, “Do you wash your brushes after each client or do you open a fresh pack of brushes for each client?”.
4. When discussing price, ask if there are additional charges for airbrush makeup, extensions for you hair or eyelashes, and travel charges. Also ask if the price of the the trial will be deducted from the total price if you book them (yes, almost all stylists charge for a trial).
5. Bring photo examples of what styles you would like. The more information you give to the hair and makeup artist the better they can see your overall vision. Also be clear in saying what you like and what you don’t like. Not every bride likes red lipstick, but some brides really do need it to not look washed out in photos.
6. Bring someone you really trust to the trial. You will need a second opinion on your look but remember one person is more than enough. If you bring your mom, your sister and your maid of honor, be prepared to get three different opinions.
We have seen time and time again where brides leave a stylist trial more confused than when they started. It is very important to be clear about your wants and needs. You want to radiate on your wedding day and the right team of stylist can make all the difference.