As professional planners, we need to think of the good and the bad, and having a rain plan is a very important thing to consider. It’s important to discuss this with your venue, decorator, DJ, and planner and come up with a plan ahead of time so that everyone is on the same page. We have gone through many situations where there is no back up space and guests are left to wonder why the event is being held outside, even though the weather is not conducive.
Here is a list of questions to ask your venue BEFORE signing them:
1. What is your back up space? Do you like the back up space as well as the outdoor space?
2. What is the latest time you can make the weather call?
3. Are there any additional charges if the event needs to be moved indoors?
4. If the event is outside and it rains, will the venue provide umbrellas for all guests and the DJ (especially for his equipment)?
5. Will your back up space hold the same amount of guests as your original space would?
6. Will the venue create a floor plan for the backup space?
7. Will the venue set up the outside and inside space simultaneously for no additional charge? This is just so that if at last minute, everything needs to be pulled inside, the room is already set.
We have been in countless situations where there is no weather back up at all for an outdoor event. It really is very difficult when discussions on the weather happen two weeks before the event and there are virtually no options. We love outdoor events just as much as our brides, but as planners, we want to talk about all options before a bride signs the venue and is left to pay hefty back up charges.