A lot of my brides ask me questions regarding the different types of invitation printing. Here are some of the most popular methods of wedding invitation printing.
- Engraving is the printing method with an old world charm. It is the most traditional form of wedding invitation printing and also one of the most expensive. The wording is etched onto a copper plate, coated with ink, and then wiped clean so only the ink remains in the indentations. Soft, fine paper is then pressed against the plate which creates a very crisp clean lettering. Engraved invitations may take a little longer than other methods so remember to start the process with your printer well in advance when choosing engraved invitations.
- Letterpress type of printing also gives a vintage look. This technique is created when a letterpress printer uses inked letters or design which is pressed onto paper. Letterpress type does not produce crisp lettering, hence producing a more vintage look. There isn’t a lot of flexibility in the letter type or font. Very few printers still use this method but if you choose it, the method looks the best of handmade paper.
- Thermography is a less expensive method of creating the engraved look. The printer uses ink and resin dusting powders with heat to create raised lettering. The process is high tech. and it’s at a flip of the switch. It’s becoming the most popular method of printing wedding invitations because of the cost and, unlike engraving, it much quicker to achieve.
- Foil Stamping is also known as dry stamping, hot stamping or metallic foil. It uses heated dyes or metal plates to place a fine layer of foil onto paper. This technique has been used for centuries. It began with the use of gold foil but now other metallic foils are used in place of gold. Keep in mind, the foil don’t not necessarily have to be shiny. This method is comparable in price to engraving.
- Offset printing or lithography is the easiest method of printing and so the least expensive of all the types. It most commonly known as flat printing since the lettering is not raised. It is also useful when printing on textured paper. The method uses inked plates or rubber cylinders to transfer letters or images onto paper.
- Calligraphy is used for handwritten appearance invitations. The calligraphy artist will utilize special pens and ink to give that traditional look. Calligraphy for matching invitations can be done by creating a plate for engraving. Both calligraphy methods are expensive so best utilized for small weddings.
I hope this helps you when you’re ready to choose your wedding invitation.